Monday, May 24, 2021

Unconventional Hero

I watched this movie ‘Karnan’ over the weekend. I have seen the director’s previous outing and postponed to see this for later as I knew it would be gut-wrenching. But I prepared myself and gave it a try. As I expected, the movie was magnificent, dark, intense, and deeply-affecting. There are ample number of articles in internet about all the layers and nuances in the film. So many reviews about the acting, directing and the techinical prowess of the movie.

But I am not here to talk about the movie, I want to talk about my personal take on Dhanush. When Mr. D’s debut movie released, I was in my school and I was not allowed to watch the R-rated movie (Thulluvadho Ilamai). All I was told was that it was an adult only movie with bad looking hero and excellent songs. Nobody thought this skinny guy would last more than couple of movies, let alone be a hero of masses and classes down the road. And when his second movie (Kadhal Konden) released, everyone recognized his talent. He made no impression on me. I hated his over-acting at places and looks in KK, loved the songs and moved on. His consequent movies did not make any impression on me. And I hated the movie called “Sullan” where he thrashed 10s of guys and did all the commercial-hero gimmicks. I swore myself not to see any of his movies as I couldn’t stand his overacting and romancing girls 100 times prettier than him (May be more because of later than the former one).

 On personal front, He married Aishwairya Rajinikanth And I wondered “How did he score Rajinikanth’s daughter?”. Every time he came on any interview, I felt he was putting up this so called “I am so humble” act which quite irritated me. 

 I missed watching his first movie with Vetrimaaran(acclaimed director) called “Polladhavan”. I assumed it to be another masala-flick. I watched it much later and loved it. I didn’t think much about the acting and I assumed it to be “One-hit wonder” and never gave it another thought. I continued to ignore all Dhanush’s film and had the unfortunate luck of watching a movie called “Mapillai”. It was one of the worst movies of Tamil cinema, if not Indian cinema. Unfunny jokes, non-sense fights and you name it, it had it. I gave up on watching any of Dhanush’s movie. 

One of my friends who is a great fan of Vetrimaaran compelled me to watch “Aadukalam” in theater. I was skeptical. But still I had nothing much better to do in my life, so I went and watched it. It was a sweet surprise. Dhanush was just too good. There was no denying that this guy can act. I wasn’t ready to accept it yet. Maybe Vetrimaaran is a brilliant taskmaster and he know how to get good acting out of Dhanush - I told my friend.

Fast forward, I stumbled upon the hidden gem called “Pudhupettai”, I was bowled over by his acting. I mean, I laughed initially considering how Dhanush can be a DON. But man, he was good and he convinced me. (Even though it was released earlier, I watched it much later). Now, I started saying Dhanush is a good actor given he gets good director. 

Fast forward, he made the sensational “Why This kolaveri di” song. He sorts of became the trendsetter to use colloquial English in the Tamil song. Yes, the song was highly over-rated which he accepted it in multiple interviews. All the songs in his movies have been good, including his own taste in music. I loved his voices in some of the song (“Donu Donu”, “Kannazhaga” etc) Okay, he is a good singer - I told to myself just not loud enough. 

 I loved his commercial movie “Velai-illa pattadhari”, but skipped the Maari franchise. I saw a pattern on his selection of movie. One conventional movie follow followed by an unconventional one. I chose to watch the later and started skipping the former. 

As a producer, he produced a movie called “Kakka muttai” a movie that revolves around two slum children whose desire is to taste a pizza. It was a wonderful movie and I was glad that he backed up a good project. Okay, this guy has a good artistic taste- I thought. 

As a director, he chose to direct a movie called “Pa Pandi” whose protagonist is a 65 years old ex stunt man and his romance. He could have made a movie with himself as a protagonist with lot of scope for acting and heroism, rather he chose to take a movie on elderly romance and it’s remarkably free of melodrama. My favorite scene in the film is when the Revathy character meets Paandi. He gained great appreciation from me as an artist at that point in time, yet I was so afraid to tell it out loud.

I was bowled over by “VadaChennai” and “Asuran”. In Vada Chennai, he backed up a project where he was a pawn in a game played by a strong female protagonist. He was so good, yet all the characters made equal impact. He backed up a project he believed in. Hands down, it was one of the best non-linear movies I have seen. In “Asuran”, his transformation was spell bounding. He played a teenager as well as a father to a 25 year old son effortlessly and his body language was so good. 

In Karnan, he is phenomenal. When I saw the poster of the movie, I told my brother that I might be seeing too much of Dhanush’s movies because I found him very good looking in the Karnan poster. 

 By now, you know what I am trying to convey. Over the years he convinced me that he is a good actor, director, producer, singer and artist. He reduced the gap between the conventional and unconventional movies as he is thriving on good movies. All his recent unconventional movies have been hit, because he is commercially viable. What I am about to say is something I would have never imagine telling it to anyone let alone to the online world. But here it goes... Dhanush, I am your fan. Yes, I will cringe when you make a god-awful movie where you are beating 100s of guys with punch-lines. But I will cheer for you every-time you push the envelope. #fan #Dhanush #blog #ManCrushMonday

No comments: